Please note that the dedicated Kiteboarding mode is not yet available. Therefore this description if for those who want to use AirDog in this amazing action sport until it is released. Once the mode will be finalised it will be very easy and safe to use AirDog in this sport because it will automatically estimate wind direction, speed and position itself upwind from you to avoid colliding with your kite lines. Now you can still use it, but be very cautious and it is your responsibility to manually set upwind position and see what distance is safe to use in different wind speeds.
Takeoff and landing spot:
Choose a safe spot of at least 5m radius without any trees and other objects in it. Place AirDog in the middle of this area. When the battery will run out AirDog will fly back and land here so we suggest having someone to wait for AirDog coming back. Avoid crowded places where someone can come and put his/her kite or other gear.
- Turn on AirDog and AirLeash, select “Windsurf” activity and check if all of the recommended settings are set (they are listed below).
- Turn on GoPro and start recording.
- Takeoff AirDog
- Reposition AirDog on the Upwind side from you and press “Play” button to start FIXED follow mode. CAUTION! AirDog will back away (fly backwards) to reach the set “Follow distance”.
- Now you can lift up your kite and start riding.
- Adjust altitude and distance during your ride via AirLeash to stay safe.
- You might adjust AirDogs angle to film you slightly from the front or back to your liking. Once you change direction you can readjust angle again. Later this will be automated.
- Once you feel ok with AirDogs performance stop focusing on it, enjoy kiteboarding and have fun!
We suggest that you select Windsurfing in Sport Mode since it contains most of the settings that are required. Do not use “Custom” Sport Mode, because there are some hidden settings that are not there for water sports.
- Sport: Windsurf
- Follow mode: FIXED
- Takeoff altitude: 14 m
- Follow distance: 20 m
- Landing: HOME
- Return HOME alt: 35 m
- Enforce HOME: ON
- Follow instantly: YES
- Follow terrain: OFF
- Acceleration: 1
- Reaction: 1.15
Upper arm above biceps is suggested for aggressive riding where you will be doing fast arm movements. If you’re going just to cruise around then wearing it on wrist should be fine. The goal in any activity is to place AirLeash where there will be the least movement and vibrations.
When starting in place where other kiteboarders are near make sure you set Takeoff Altitude to at least 35 meters to stay above all kites. When you reach a safe location where there are no other kiteboarders around you can set lower altitude via AirLeash for closer and lower shots.
Please remember that AirDog will not see and avoid other kiteboarders and their kites. In crowded areas go downwind or upwind from the main crowd. At any moment you can hit Play/Pause button to stop AirDog immediately if you see you can get into a dangerous situation.
You might notice that in winds exceeding 7-8 m/s (14-16 knots) AirDog might loose altitude quite significantly when you do fast downwind manoeuvres. This will depend on your riding style and many of you might not experience this effect however we do not sugest going below 15m altitude until we finish wind estimator that will solve this problem as well.
When flying in winds between 11-15 m/s you might notice that AirDog might get closer that the set distance after downwind moves. This is due to inertia and this as well will be fixed with the wind estimation algorithm. Make sure you set safe distance and test different moves while flying high and safe.